Monday, January 12, 2015

​A renaissance for Crimea? Peninsula looks with hope to the future — RT Op-Edge

A few days before the end of 2014, I visited Crimea to see the immediate effects of its re-unification with Russia. I found a peninsula largely content with its historic choice but grappling with a future that, while promising much, won't be easy.

The Azov Sea winds are roaring and the waters are choppy. A lone Russian policeman is trying to keep order among hundreds of frustrated car drivers on the approach to Port Kavkaz, from where it’s only 4 kilometers by ferry to Crimea’s Kerch. I’ve been slowly inching forward for five hours. Frustration is general and the rain lashes down.

I approach the officer, asking if I can expect to reach Crimea tonight. “Normally, it only takes an hour or two, but the weather has been horrible all day. Until the bridge is built across the strait, we are at His mercy,” he explains while pointing towards the sky. As I return to my vehicle, a man in a Sevastopol-registered car rolls down his window and asks for an update.

“What's he saying?”

“That God will decide when we get there.”

“I hope God knows we are trying to get home for New Year's. I am tired. I’ve already driven from Rostov.”

Complete story at - ​A renaissance for Crimea? Peninsula looks with hope to the future — RT Op-Edge

CC Photo Google Image Search Source is upload wikimedia org  Subject is Map of the Crimea

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments subject to moderation.

Recommended Reading via Amazon



If you're seeking more information about how the world really works, and not how the media would want you to believe it works, these books are a good start. These are all highly recommended.

If you don't see pictures above, you likely have an adblocker running.  If so, here are the links.

1. The Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein
2. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man - John Perkins
3. Manufacturing Consent - Edward Herman, Noam Chomsky
4. Gladio - NATO's Dagger at the Heart of Europe - Richard Cottrell
5. Profit Over People - Noam Chomsky
6. Soviet Fates and Lost Alternatives - Stephen Cohen
7. The Divide - American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap - Matt Taibbi

How this works.  Follow one of the links.  Should you decide to buy that item, or any item, I get a small percentage, which helps to maintain this site.  Your cost is the same, whether you buy from my link or not.  But if the item remains in the cart too long, I don't get a thing.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...